Apps versus mobile website design
More and more often clients are approaching me and saying ‘Can you build me an App?’
The decision on whether to build a native App or a mobile website rests on your end goals. If you are developing an interactive game or an application that has a very specific purpose then an App could be the answer.
If you simply wish to offer mobile friendly content then I recommend a website. But I would also suggest that you start with a mobile friendly website and then develop your App if you still feel you need one.
Questions to ask yourself if you’re thinking of developing an App
- Do you have a really good strategy around your mobile App?
- Are there features that you cannot provide with a mobile website?
- Is your App adding value for the visitor?
- The most popular and dominant Apps tend to get all the traffic so how many people do you need to install your App to make it a worthwhile investment and for it to be successful?
- Do you have the budget to successfully market your App?
- 90% of Apps are never opened again after 90 days. Do you have a plan to retain your users and to keep them returning?
- Is your App developer able to provide you with a top class product?
What are the advantages of a mobile website?
- Building a mobile website is cheaper than developing an App.
- You can optimise your website for tablets and phones using responsive design.
- You can update your mobile website instantly. Changes to an App will require further development.
- Your users don’t need to download anything.
- The same user experience can be created using a mobile website as an App
- Users can bookmark a mobile website to their home screen as they would an App.
- You don’t need to develop and maintain dfferent Apps for different smart phones (iPhone / Android / Blackberry).