Close close menu

Cambridge Social Media Day 2018 – Our Retrospective



We recently attended the inaugural Cambridge Social Media Day 2018, held at the Storey’s Field Centre, and organised by Lenka Koppova. There were a whole host of interesting talks to attend, delicious food provided by Que Rico Tapas, and a great crowd to network and mingle with. We took a lot of notes during the day, and going through them we’ve come up with a list of the main points we took away from the event.



Social media Cambridge



  • Follow the 90:10 rule. Spend 90% of your social media efforts doing ONE thing/platform very well. Spend the remaining 10% experimenting with other platforms and ideas.
  • Social media moves very fast – viewers tend to have an attention span of around 8 seconds – get right to the heart of the issue you’re writing about as soon as possible.
  • Be consistent across all platforms. Find your tone/voice, and stick to it.
  • Be interesting/be interested in others. Ask questions, share ‘behind the scenes’ photos, engage with people in comments, go live, show your personality!
  • Treat your own branding/marketing as you would treat a client project.
  • Computer based personality judgements are more accurate than those made by humans. Facebook knows you better than your friends! 
  • There is a Facebook group for almost everything. Join active communities related to your field and see what people are saying/what they want. Don’t try to sell to them there!
  • Repurpose your old content. Contrary to popular belief, people aren’t stalking your profile. Give them a chance to see something they may have missed before, update an old post with fresh news, and save yourself some time.
  • Visuals! The old saying that a picture is worth 1000 words still holds true, and will attract the eye of audiences much better than a text-only post.
  • Use the analytics tools built into each platform – they hold a lot of valuable insight you can use to maximise your reach and engagement.
  • Social media in a public crisis: saying something is better than saying nothing, remember to pause your scheduled campaigns/posts.
  • Social media in a company crisis: again, pause scheduled content, if you are at fault – admit it and be clear about how you have responded to prevent the situation repeating, be open and honest – if you have nothing to hide, why not deal with a complaint online?